Replies

• CU Employee

I'm hoping that this dialogue generates discussion beyond mostly you and I.

I have an unrelated question for the other members of the group. I was wondering if you could create a survey.

4153633?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

Forrester_Build_The_Business_Case_2015.pdf

I was wondering where other analysts see themselves/their role or their organization along the technical maturity line above.

It comes from the attached document (Forrester_Build_The_Business_Case_2015.pdf)

Thanks,

Rob

http://api.ning.com:80/files/5d%2A2SXUoX2-n10WWgTQ%2A-DrVNOLeTv4dI74TouNarcakNqCfl-C7aiqdMMBD-JLFoA…
  • CU Employee CULytics Founder

Good points Rob.

We have ability to create different groups for different tools/focus but at this point it will be easier for people to see the discussions in one main group rather than several shallow groups.

We can move the discussions and content to different groups once we have reached that critical point.

Thanks for all your input.

• CU Employee

Hi Naveen,

To points 2 and 3:

2. There are many experts in the different analytical tools here. Maybe ask them to pose a periodic challenge on a particular application (SQL, Tableau, etc.), analytic, or methodology.

3. One thing that may work is to create different discussion groups for the different tools or analytic focus. It may require a survey or two to find out how the membership falls, but would give great insight and a sound starting point.

Thanks!

• CU Employee

Hi Naveen,

One way is to do what you did to spur this conversation; open-ended questions. I am the president of Oregon's ACL user group and I have the same challenge of getting more participation. It's hard to do:

1% rule (Internet culture)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Pie chart showing the proportion of lurkers, contributors and creators under the 90–9–1 principle

In Internet culture, the 1% rule is a rule of thumb pertaining to participation in an internet community, stating that only 1% of the users of a website actively create new content, while the other 99% of the participants only lurk. Variants include the 1-9-90 rule (sometimes 90–9–1 principle or the 89:10:1 ratio),[1] which states that in a collaborative website such as a wiki, 90% of the participants of a community only view content, 9% of the participants edit content, and 1% of the participants actively create new content.

Similar rules are known in information science, such as the 80/20 rule known as the Pareto principle, that 20 percent of a group will produce 80 percent of the activity, however the activity may be defined.

Cyberculture
    Cyberculture or computer culture is the culture that has emerged, or is emerging, from the use of computer networks for communication, entertainment,…

Thanks for your feedback John. 

Just do search on Unitus and it will show the members from Unitus. 

Search Results - Unitus

• CU Employee

Hey Naveen,

A suggestion... can you make the members directory searchable by institution?  I want to 'shame' more folks at Unitus into joining, but it's hard to see who's joined and who hasn't!

John

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your feedback. 

1. Points and badges is in the roadmap. I agree that it will help drive more participation.

2. I would love to hear more about periodic challenges and/or code snippets. If you have anything that you can share with the community that would be awesome.

3. The value of the community is in participation. Members can start new discussions/blogs and comment on them. How do you suggest we communicate that this is not read-only community?

Thanks

• CU Employee

Hi Naveen,

I have a few suggestions:

1 - Give points or badges for participating.

2 - Provide periodic challenges or helpful and interesting code snippets/data solutions.

Right now a lot of the content here is read-only, so that's what most of the group members are doing.

Thanks,

Rob

This reply was deleted.